Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery is situated in the city of San Diego, California on the grounds of the former Fort Rosecrans. The cemetery is located approximately 10 miles west of downtown San Diego, overlooking the bay and the city on one side, and the Pacific Ocean on the other. Fort Rosecrans is named after William Starke Rosecrans, a Union general in the American Civil War. The cemetery was registered as California Historical Landmark #55 on December 6, 1932. The cemetery is spread out over 77.5 acres located on both sides of Catalina Blvd.